Friday, October 10, 2008

Mowing the lawn

Why is it that I get such a kick out of mowing my lawn? I got so much pleasure from buying my first lawn mower. I can only imagine that it is some kind of guy thing. I think it stems from the scriptures, really. Man is to have "dominion" over certain things. Since I am only occasionally granted dominion in my own home, like when I pick who offers the blessing on the meal or family prayers, I need to feel that elsewhere. The lawn gets it. I just love that feeling of control. I can go diagonally or longways or sideways. Where else in life do you get so darn many options. I work for no one but myself out there. It also gives me a little buzz that I can control the length. I just really think that my lawn, not a dog, is this man's best friend.

3 comments:

Chelsea said...

This is by far my favorite post! I can totally relate! only from a womans perspective it's all about cleaning. We may not be able to control our weight, the weather, or that darned stock market, but never under estimate the satisfaction that comes from a truly clean kitchen. And not the kind of clean that my husband calls clean. :)

Catey said...

I'm going to argue this one-unless I'm just infused with more testosterone than is normal for the average female-it's not just a guy thing! : ) LOVE mowing the lawn. I used to try and talk my dad into letting me do it starting at 10yrs old. Instead he usually argued with my older brother trying to get him to do it. *shrug*

I snuck out and mowed ours last when I was 38wks pregnant. : ) Unfortunately between kids and household stuff, I rarely get the chance to get it done before Aaron comes home and does it.

Mountain Man said...

You know, it could just be an escape. The two of you have convinced me that it is probably just a "happy place" for us.